In 1956 a small group in Hinton felt a need to establish a church where they could fellowship and impact their community. They began meeting in the Legion Hall for weekly Sunday services. Soon it became evident that to serve God and the residents of Hinton most effectively a church building was required. Plans were drawn and over a period of time a new worship center was built.
Bethany Baptist Church was incorporated January 5, 1960 and affiliated with the Baptist General Conference of United States. In 1988 the Baptist General Conference of Canada was incorporated under the leadership of Abe Funk. Bethany Baptist Church became a member church.
Continued growth led to the construction in 1990 of a two story addition to provide space for Sunday School, youth activities, administrative offices and larger foyer.In 2001 the original wooden pews were replaced with upholstered chairs. This change allows us to transform the main sanctuary into a multi-purpose room for banquets and other functions too large for the room available in the basement.
In January 2006 the name of the church was changed from Bethany Baptist Church to Gateway Community Church.
Outreach efforts through Gateway Community Church continue to expand as God presents more opportunities for sharing the good news of Jesus in our own community and around the world. As we move forward in the new millennium Gateway seeks to reach out in creative and innovative ways to share the good news of Jesus Christ.